Building DubFocus controllers

I’ve built two new controllers which I’ve named DubFocus (dub producers are really keen into very knobby MIDI controllers), even though the name can’t be seen anywhere on them. The controllers feature 12 faders, 48 pots, 12 buttons with LEDs… Oh wait, you’ve heard this before, right? What’s the point of this post then? Let […]

Touchscreen-based MIDI controller

I’ve built myself a new controller – Bergamot, which is my first controller based on a touchscreen. New controller – again? I never do things for the sake of doing them. Bergamot is purely a result of frustration with Tannin 2. When I’ve built Tannin 2, I’ve been using it happily for quite some time. Then, […]

Custom controller for Conscious Youth

Last time I’ve built a custom MIDI controller for someone was quite a while ago. Actually, I’ve been so focused on OpenDeck in the last few years I barely even mention to anyone that I do actually build entire controllers as well – and why bother? Most of the conversations about that look almost exactly […]

Building Tannin 2

In this post, I’ll be talking about build process of my latest and greatest MIDI controller; Tannin 2. It took me almost 5 months to actually finish it since there were so many architectural changes in it that I basically started from scratch. The design Tannin 2 design is, naturally, very similar to the original […]

Building Ceylon

This is a long overdue post about Ceylon, another Shantea Controls controller, only this time, one that I’ve built for myself. Of course, it’s based on OpenDeck platform. Ceylon was actually built about three months ago. Reason why I haven’t written about it is a combination of things really. First, it was in a beta period for […]

Sensimidia MIDI controller

Sensimidia is third Shantea Controls controller, and also my second commercial project. I’ve been working on it for the last two months, but most of that time I did nothing, because of some delivery issues with faders and box. Now that it’s finally over, I’d like to present it here. In many ways, Sensimidia is […]

Building Anandamidi, part 4

This is the last post about Anandamidi, I promise! So, in case you forgot, this is the remaining stuff to finish the controller: Painting the case Interfacing Arduino with separate USB MIDI chip on separate PCB (Altmustech AU-123) 1) Painting the case Fairly easy part. I’ve simply bought black spray for wood and sprayed the case 3-4 […]

Building Anandamidi, part 3

Like last time I posted here, there’s been much progress. In fact, the controller is already working, even though everything isn’t finished yet. So, let’s start where we finished last time. Faders! Placing faders As I’ve already stated, I had some issues with placing the faders. Main source of issues was that I didn’t have […]

Building Anandamidi, part 2

Lots of progress since my last post. I got the plate, already placed most of the components, finished software and just today I made some final adjustments to PCB. Here’s how the plate looked after I got it and after I’ve put some stuff on it: That board is really awesome, sometimes I feel it’s […]